Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Spooky!

Because Halloween is this week, I thought that I would show you one of my favorite places in the neighborhood: Alter Nordlicher Friedhof, the Old North Cemetary. Built in 1866-1869 to relieve the space issue from the Old South Cemetary, by 1939 it was full. Apparently there are many important Munich residents taking up residence there now...the cemetary was seriously damaged in the war, and the old tombstones are something to see. I find that I cut through here on my way home whenever I can.


The cemetary is surrounded by tall brick walls which insulate it from the sounds of the busy streets. On any given day you can find people reading on benches, jogging, walking with children or having picnics on the grass (right on top of someone...). It is a beautiful, lush place, full of greenery and trees, some growing right out of the graves themselves! It seems like a pretty nice spot to get some final rest.

There's only one problem...

No comments:

Post a Comment