Thursday, November 5, 2009

For the love of Munich

We've made plans to come home for Christmas. I am excited to see our family and friends for the first time in many months...but, as we start to think about the end of the year, I can't help but think about marking the first anniversary of the Hub coming to Germany, of my tearful resignation from a job that I loved, and then of finally bringing 7 suitcases and our beloved dog here to Germany. Maybe it is because the Hub has been gone for a few weeks for work and I have had too much time on my hands...but I can't help myself from stopping and taking stock of these past months in Munich.

I love it here.

Sure, the distance from our family and friends is not nearly ideal. But with Skype, I can talk and even see loved ones whenever we can make a date. Living in a foreign country has been challenging, but I am proud of what we have been able to accomplish-learning a new language, making great new friends, living in the same city again (let alone the same apartment). Every day I get to see beautiful places and find that I have more courage than I would have ever thought. I only get a little nervous when the Hub looks to me to speak for us in German, I have become very familiar with the train system here (coming from places with no public transport to speak of, this is a big thing), and I have found a vet for Bailey and a girlie Dr. for myself.

I am still trying to figure out the pharmacy and butcher shop and the banking system-but I will conquer these too.

I think back to the early days here, and the things that would upset me so much now seem small to me. I feel lucky to have this experience, and the Hub and Bailey the Dog to share it with. So, as we start to think about coming home for the holidays and seeing the people and things that I miss: family, friends, my car, Target, Atlanta, Reese's, JCrew, cake with proper frosting, my work....and much more- I have a renewed commitment to myself to enjoy every day here. I will look up and be inquisitive and learn and cherish.

I love it here.

I love the pretzels, the wurst, the beer, and the crispness of the first Fall I have experienced in a long while. I love that Bailey is growing a winter coat and is a fluffy bunny and I treasure the time I now have with her. I love my neighborhood bakery and the little shops that sell things so specialized like felt or locks. I love that the neighborhood grocery store cashiers have started to ask if I want the heart stickers that you can collect as points. I love our apartment and getting to live with my husband and that our Bavarian landlord is so pleased that I have begun to learn German (although now he wants me to learn Bayerish). I love that Bailey and I have other dog friends that we see every day and I love the thumping of her tail when one of the other dog owners talks to her in German. I love that she now sits when I tell her to in German. I love the history and the beauty of this place and that it is really starting to feel like home. I can't wait for you all to come for a visit.


Edit: I realized that the picture on the top was from Salzburg...didn't seem fitting to have a pic from Austria here...so I swapped it out for what you see here now!

4 comments:

  1. will be there as soon as we can, looking forward
    to December and your arrival.
    mom and dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Beautiful Carey, you have made tears come to my eyes with all the wonderful things you are sharing with us, and knowing how happy you and Robert are with your new life and the wonderful experiences you are having in Munich and the surrounding areas. I am so happy for you's and also know how much Mom and Dad are looking forward to your arrival at Christmas. Keep int info coming it is so loved. Tons of Love A.J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you haven't already, go check out Ludwigs castles. See how he bankrupted Bavaria. Crazy stuff in some beautiful country. And note the infatuation for Wagner. You will see what I mean when you here all that went into his castle building. Also loved hiriam Kimsee (?). A great island on a lake about 1 hour from the city. We stayed at the inn on the island and checked out Ludi's Versalles. Love to read your take.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just catching up on your posts, and this is a great one! I love how thoughtful you are about your experience, and how honest about the challenges you have had and where you are now. Wonderful insights and very, very well written. I am so glad that your Munich experience has become so meaningful to you - it really shows us that "home" can be anywhere where we are with the people (and animals) that we love.

    ReplyDelete