Monday, November 22, 2010

Magnificent Manchester


The Hub has been on the road every week in this month of November, so I decided to tag along with him to Manchester, UK...I had very few expectations about Manchester-except for the fact that it, in fact, had both a Marks & Spencer and a Gap store, that it lays claim to such bands as the Beatles and the Smiths for both of their unique sounds...and that it was 2nd banana to London.

Boy, was I surprised by what I found:









Manchester provided us with some of the best Thai curry we have had in a long while-maybe since we were in Thailand.  It has an area that is nicknamed "The Curry Mile" and one of the largest Chinatowns to be found. I found the city to be lovely-red brick and mortar buildings and bustling streets.  I stopped and had a lovely tea at a small tea shop (as shown in all of it's beauty in the first pic) in the Northern Quarter-which I could have spent days exploring.  The Quarter is chocked full of independent and artist owned stalls and shops...heaven.  And good tea too.  The thing that I liked about Manchester the most, though, was the friendliness of the people.  Everywhere I went, I met happy and cheerful people-ready to help in shops, cafes or with helpful directions on the street (my map was pitiful).

I had come to Manchester thinking that I would find a broken down, dodgy town. What I found was nothing of the sort and  I left realizing that it was a real jewel...and with my bag full of Cadbury treats!

No comments:

Post a Comment