Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving


This is a picture of the turkey that I cooked last year-I have to say, I am very proud of this bird...it was the first Thanksgiving that I cooked in my own home.  Looking back, it was a Thanksgiving that was made up of many firsts, that first bird, our first Thanksgiving in Munich, our first Thanksgiving as married people, and the first Thanksgiving in a very long while that I wasn't working retail.....


Last year, I had 6 people plus us (and Bailey somewhere under) at our table.  This year, the Hub is in Sweden and is responsible for a presentation on Thanksgiving day.  Ugh.  I was supposed to go up there and meet him, but we decided that since he has been traveling so much this month that he would come home for the weekend and get the chance to wake up in his own bed with his own stuff in his own place.  I actually encouraged this and canceled my ticket to Gothenburg earlier in the week.

But now I am feeling a little melancholy about it-the Hub has been telling me all about the snow that is falling there and it sounds wonderful...I have had generous invites from a few friends to tag along to their holiday feasts..but I am just not in the mood.  I looked for a turkey in our local grocery store this week, and saw none-last year I bought mine and it was one of three that they had on offer...also, I hadn't seen cranberries until I discovered one container in the produce section yesterday!  It seems strange that I was more in-tune to it last year.  Maybe I am missing my old job and the whirlwind that is the holiday season...maybe it is the absence of the Hub...the promise but not delivery of snow here in Munich (although yesterday we had a little!)...whatever it is, I have decided to take it easy, and have a pajama day here in the apartment.


The general plan for the day goes like this: eat nothing of much nutritional value, read in bed, stay in the pj's until a late shower and then put the pj's back on, watch movies (Pride and Prejudice for certain-the Keira Knightley one...don't judge...I love the scenery and the music and can't stand that BBC version with the irritating Mrs. Bennet and the too-old actresses who play Elizabeth and Jane...Colin Firth, of course, can stay-and I most likely will watch a season or two of Gilmore Girls...), drink loads of tea, do some knitting, make yams and dressing and maybe have a salad with ranch dressing.  Luxury!  Just thinking about it is perking my spirits!  Ahhhh....an entire day to myself.  Sounds decadent!  Must add chocolate in there somewhere.....

So, while you are all sitting down, watching the Lions lose and having turkey, I will be missing you all, a lot.  I will be thinking about having the dinner that I did last year, but enjoying my day on my own.  Really. 

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.  Gobble Gobble!

1 comment:

  1. You will be here in spirit, and soon enjoying
    a feast for the next holiday. Enjoy your peace
    and quiet. Thinking of you....LOVE

    ReplyDelete