Friday, March 4, 2011

Green Schwinn

When the weather started to warm up and the world in Munich started to thaw, I noticed this gorgeous green Schwinn bike locked up not far from the apartment, waiting for its owner to come rescue it for a ride. 

When I was little, the family gave my dad a blue Schwinn very much like this one.  It had a light with built in controls and an electric horn, also built right in to the frame. My dad would happily ride to his office and back for a quick lunch and then hop on the trusty Schwinn to go back to work to finish his day.  I can recall watching him ride away, wind in his hair, and although I couldn't see his face, I am certain that he must have been smiling.

The thing about that bike, is that it got stolen.  Twice.  And returned both times...not always right away, but today that Pee Wee Herman type bike of my father's lives happily in their garage in the states...waiting patiently for my father to dust it off and take a bike ride...

But back to this beauty.  Look at that seat!  That's more like a saddle! No sore bums from that one after an outing.  And the tires!  Whitewalls!  There is no way that you would get that tire caught in a tram track!  (another story all together...)  Those babies would scoff at the idea.  I am in love with this bike...

3 comments:

  1. Is that a .... a ..... beach cruiser? I have one in baby blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love that bike! I clicked on the photo to enlarge it, and you can really see all of the wonderful details. I can totally picture your dad on one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. And as someone who got his front tyre trapped in some tracks I would definitely go for something like this given the choice.

    ReplyDelete