Monday, May 31, 2010

Weisswurst


We have recently gotten the chance to experience Sunday Morning Weisswurst with some friends.  Weisswurst is a breakfast tradition here in Germany-served until noon usually, with pretzels, beer, and lots of the sweet, brown mustard.  I wasn't so sure that I was going to like this wurst, as I am typically a red wurst lovin' kind of gal...but I decided to give it a try.

I especially liked the formality in how it is served...in a tureen like container:


When you order it, you generally order it by the two's...and it comes still in the almost boiling water!


You can't eat the skin off of these-it is too thick and tough.  There are a variety of methods to peeling a wiesswurst properly...I have provided a link below.  Suffice it by saying that my attempts were not nearly as efficient or pretty, but the wurst was pretty delish. The place where we had it controls the timing of the availability by the chimes of the clock in the central square at Marienplatz.  Once it hits the last stroke of 12, the weisswurst is off of the menu for the day. (we have rules....)

For those of you who are interested in reading about proper technique...here is a website that you can look at so you can be an expert when you visit:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A412534

good luck trying the Zuzeln method...I am certain that this takes years of skill and practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment