Sunday, January 30, 2011

Tea and Quarkballen

Today is one of those cold January Sundays in Munich where your cheeks are pink from the air outside and all I want to do is curl up with my thick book, a big cup of the Red Rose Tea from one of my mother's carepackages (the tea is what I grew up drinking-a mix of black and orange Pekoe and pretty inexpensive in the grocery stores at home-but is my favorite...and the cup is one of my favorite acquisitions from this past year's Christkindl Markt in the city center-Marienplatz) and a few Quarkballen.  Yum.

Quark is a soft cheese sort of substance that is soft and sort of yogurty. It is often coupled with fruit for breakfast and is used a lot in baking (sort of as we use sour cream in the US for baking).  I am not a huge fan of it alone, but it does bake up a delicious Quarkball, as seen above.  My friend J introduced me to these last summer, and I am not certain that I am going to forgive her for the introduction.  These are too easy to love and an inexpensive (3 for about 1.25 euro) treat.  Ummm...yes, there were 3 when I started this post....

So, off I go, to read and dig into my treats.

1 comment:

  1. I love Quark! They sell it at some of the farmers markets here, and my favorite is the lemon flavor. I never thought to bake with it, though - what a great idea! Those look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete