Friday, April 15, 2011

Tickets to Ride

Did I mention that our Ubahn station got new ticket machines?  Yup, 2 of the 3 ticket machines have been switched over to the newer, fancier touchscreen variety.  I love, though, that they are easing us into the process by leaving one of the old machines there....wouldn't want to shock anyone into having to use the new machines.  I was in the station the other day and watched which machine the customers would buy their tickets from...and out of the ten people I saw approach and buy from the machines, 8 used the old trusty one.  People took a precursory glance and poked at the new machines' screens, but tickets were bought from the one they knew and trusted.  I get it. 

Change is good, but hard.  I am not so good at change...although I guess picking up and moving to a foreign country where I didn't know the language and leaving friends and family and my career behind might suggest otherwise.  But I am firmly in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp. The difference, I think is that our move was an adventure...the familiarity with the ticket purchasing process is a comfortable convenience.  One that helps you get on your train on time.  Good news for me:  the machine that dispenses the monthly tickets that I buy is still the same.  I'll keep you posted.....

1 comment:

  1. I live in Munich too and have seen the new machines (and seen people ignore them), but, like you, I have a month ticket, so it doesn't really apply to me. I wonder how long they will leave the old machines here...

    ReplyDelete