Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Olympic Hopes

Take a look who was staring back at me when I rounded the corner in the Sendlinger Tor Ubahn station... none other than Mark Spitz.  He won 7 Gold Medals in Swimming here in Munich in the 1972 Summer Olympics.  This record would stand until 2008 when Michael Phelps won 8 Gold Medals for swimming in the Olympic Games in Beijing.

Munich is one of 3 cities to make a bid for the 2018 Winter Olympic Games, with the Bid Committee in Germany headed by Figure Skater Katarina Witt (also a gold medalist!).  The other Bid City Candidates are Annecy, France and Pyeongchang, South Korea.  The winning city will be announced on July 6th.

Garmisch-Partenkirchen, which is south of the city of Munich, will host the Skiing events.  There is a lot of hope for Munich to become the first city to hold both the Summer and Winter Olympic Games.  The Bid Committe has big name sponsors like Lufthansa backing it, and we have seen posters and props for the bid quest all over the city and the airport.  I don't know if we will be here in 2018, but it would be a fun time to be living here!  Stay tuned, I'll keep you posted on the announcement!

2 comments:

  1. Germany's even promoting on their postage! Just got a postcard from my boyfriend from the Island Föhr where the postamt stamped the card with a Münich 2018!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Seriously, that balloon symbol is everywhere--I just noticed it on the back of all of the Munich taxis too! ps: the stamps I bought for the Mother's Day cards were flowers...maybe you have to ask for the Olympic ones? I'll find out next time I'm at Deutsch Post.

    ReplyDelete