Thursday, July 21, 2011

Mein Carsharing

In this post I told you about the Call a Bike program that Deutsche Bahn has here in Munich.  Well, look what I saw on street today:

Looks like Deutsche Bahn has gotten into the 4 wheel, motorized variety of vehicle sharing too!  Emblazoned with their Flinkster logo, the car I saw was compact and new.  Here is a pdf  of the info that DB has put together.  If you already have a Bahncard, it appears as if you get a better deal up front on the one time fee and a 25 euro voucher to boot. I also noticed that they have targeted the Uni students, have a refer-a-friend compensation and also have an Android app.....pretty smart, DB!


Carsharing had started to become more common in the US before we moved to Germany.  I lived in Atlanta, where having the availability to a car was important.  The carsharing concept was one that always made sense to me...and in Atlanta, you could rent a convertible Mini for the day!


Although this one is a Skoda, it still is pretty cute...and I do find it interesting when an English word makes it's way into the German vernacular..."mein Carsharing"...nice marriage of the two languages.  Although we won't need to do any carsharing, as a part of our ex-pat life here includes a car, I do know a lot of others that have no availability to a one.  I can see a trip to Ikea or a quick day trip out of town made much easier with the availability of a car short term!

 **UPDATE**
A day or two after I posted, I was walking in my neighborhood and saw this....

A Flinkster Fiat c500!!!  Swoon........

No comments:

Post a Comment